Monday, June 11, 2012

Weekend at the Beach

This past weekend I went down to the Jersey shore with a few good friends. I brought this feather headdress that I made on a whim a few weeks ago. I got the Michael's Crafts store itch, a few hours later I created this insanely over the top headdress. It's been sitting on a display head in my room since then. Kind of goofy, got some great looks from passerbys while longboarding and walking the beach with my best friend taking photos. First look is a bit tougher; the second softer. Anyhow, I got some sun and all in all had a great weekend. As a disclaimer, I've seen other bloggers get hounded about making headdresses because some believe it cheapens Native American's heritage and their pride in their practices, I can assure you that is not my intention. Native American headdresses are a true art form and worn by those who have earned them. I'm an art history student, I've studied them and have a true respect for the art form. This is just me, being crafty, and expressing the unusual love I've had for feathers since I was just a little girl. I loved finding them in the yard and would always bring them to my mom, even though for whatever reason feathers made her want to gag when she was pregnant with my little brother. Don't worry she pretended to be thrilled.










Headdress - Homemade with Michaels Crafts goods
Faux Leather Bikini Top - Wetseal
Purple Vintage Cutoffs - Urban Renewal
Braided belt - Heritage1981
Mustard Suede sneakers - H&M
Necklaces - Forever21, Thrift store, and Urban Outfitters
Bracelets - Forever21
Rings - Family Heirlooms, The Barn Attic

White Bikini - Forever21
Kimono - Forever21

I miss the beach.
Meow!

5 comments:

  1. Great accessories and I love your head piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it! great job on the diy!

    gina
    http://www.lalamamma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Such a good job, girl!
    Jillian @ Epic Thread

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you'd love the brazilian's beaches! You kimone is really beautyful!

    Kisses,
    Cri. (ilpiccolomondodicri.com)

    ReplyDelete